On the other hand, I have pickled some onions and beetroot and made picallili and one or two different chutneys. but in general I do make a lot less of everything, it just doesn't get used - and I'm not going to make stuff for the sake of it, and the produce seems to get used in other ways.
One thing I do like making though is windfall marmalade which is made from apples but looks and tastes just like the real thing.
To make 4 - 1lb jars
1lb windfall apples, 1 grapefruit, 2 lemons, 2.1/2 pints water and 2.1/2 lb sugar
- peel core and chop apples reserving the cores and peel
- pare rinds from grapefruit and lemons as thinly as possible and shred finely
- remove pith from fruits and chop flesh removing pips
- tie citrus pith pips and apple peel and cores in muslin
- put all fruit in preserving pan with shredded rind water and muslin bag
- bring to boil
- simmer for 2.1/2 hours until reduced by half
- remove bag and add sugar then boil rapidly for 15-20 mins.
- leave to stand for 15 mins
- then stir to distribute the peel before potting and covering the usual way