Thursday 29 September 2011

Down To Earth

From this photo of my allotment garden you would think that everything was ship-shape.  Veg in straight rows, green manure in vacant soil, hardly any weeds.  Well you would be wrong, but I'm not going to show you the bad bits.

The squash patch is a right old mess, I have cut back a lot of leaves that suffered from mildew, there are loads of weeds that have grown underneath that I couldn't get to when they were in full swing.  My raspberries are all bowed down with the weight of raspberries - I don't have them growing attached to wires like you are supposed to - mine are more free spirits.  The sweet pea patch has all gone brown and crisp and the sunflowers are all leaning dangerously because they haven't been staked.

I never said I was a perfect gardener and at this time of year I was right.  Resolutions for next year - none, because I know me - I am what I am and there's no changing me now.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds very familiar! I finally got around to staking my sunflowers on Tuesday - the other task was clearing the manky mildewy leaves of all the squash and courgette plants. Some bits look great - others, not so much. Ho hum! I like your neat rows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't stake my raspberries, but do the sunflowers as they do suffer when it's windy.
    I don't do resolutions either! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing about blogging is that you can show the bits you want and leave out the more messy areas. I don't make resolutions either, a waste of time with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resolutions are not my thing either - too much of a committment - but I do have "pipe-dreams" and "castles in the air" and general ideas and plans from time to time. I think gardeners need to be flexible and adaptable (and subject to the odd whim or two).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every year I think - next year will be different - it never is - as you say Janet - ho hum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo is beautiful. I think this autumn light in particular with the beautiful weather we're having is stunning. September is one of my favourite months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why has it all come too late - I agree on September though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My autumn raspberries are also free spirits! And everything leftover from summer is heading towards a state of extreme crispiness. Job for the weekend is to conquer the horseradish and see if I can get away with sowing some winter lettuce under cloches but apparently there's snow forecast, I really hope they're wrong!

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this post why not leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...