Thursday 8 September 2011

The Runner Beans are Still Standing

I am pleased to report that the Runner Beans have survived the gales and are still upright.  They were listing to port the day before but managed to hang on.  I know other gardeners have had trouble with toppling wigwams and burnt foliage, but as you can see, because mine are sheltered by a hedgerow, they don't look too bad.  There aren't many beans left to pick now, but it has been a good season, after a slow start.
The Brussel Sprouts have also survived and are standing tall.  I never do very well with them usually, but this year there has hardly been any caterpillar damage, and so far the sprouts are firm but small.  I have had problems with the sprouts bursting in previous years and becoming soft and loose, so we shall have to see how they progress through the winter.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your beans survived the gales, your structure must be solid. My beans are grown up wigwams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beans have also taken a battering this week, but my support-system survived. I use bamboo canes, and these do have a certain amount of flexibility in them, which must help. I'm never in too much of a hurry to take my Runners down, because I find that they often produce another batch of pods when the Autumn rains come along.
    Re the "blown" sprouts: you could use them like Spring Greens. Actually the new plant I am trying this year called "Flower Sprout" specifically aims to produce things that are effectively blown sprouts. I remain to be convinced of their merits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be interesting to see the results Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plot is rather exposed so I was pleased that all was okay when I looked yesterday! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your beans survived the gales Elaine. Sadly I noticed yesterday that a few wigwams at the allotment are leaning at rather alarming angles. Sounds as if there is more to come this weekend! Thanks for your recent comments on my blog. Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am very impressed indeed by your veg. My beans are postively scrawny in comparison. I just love to see rows of neatly tended plants, well done, you must have worked very hard. Again serious envy.....raspberries looking great:~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beans did'nt do well for me this year. I think just too cold and wet. I did have some low-growing beans in polytunnel which did ok.

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this post why not leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...